Columbus student dies after "choking game" - WAOW - Newsline 9, Wausau News, Weather, Sports

Columbus student dies after "choking game"

Posted:

MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- A 17-year-old Columbus student has died after playing a "choking game."

Macklin "Mack" Jensen died Friday while participating in what's also called "space monkey" or "gasp."

GASP is a campaign organized by victims' parents to educate them about the game's dangers. The group says the game typically is played by adolescents who strangle themselves or have others push on their chests to feel light-headed for a few seconds.

Mack Jensen's father, Dan Jensen, says he and his wife weren't aware of it and have since learned how prevalent it is. So they have been trying to spread the word to other parents.

Jensen had been preparing to compete at a national wrestling tournament in Fargo, N.D.

A visitation and memorial will be held at Columbus High School Saturday.

Online Reporter: Kelsi Schindler

Powered by Frankly