UPDATED: 12 killed in shooting at Fort Hood; shooter survives
39 year old Army Major Nidal Malik Hasan
FORT HOOD, TEXAS (ABC) -- Soldiers at Fort Hood military base were preparing for deployment Thursday afternoon.
They were not prepared for a gunman, who was one of their own, armed with 2 handguns, who opened fire, killing 12 and injuring 31.
The victims, most of them soldiers, were unarmed and unable to defend themselves.
The shooting finally ended, when a responding police officer shot and injured the gunman.
Rumors of other shooters kept the entire base on lockdown for several hours, including the community's 9 schools.
According to one mother, "It's really disheartening to be, you know something's going on and you can't get to your child."
The suspect, identifed as 39 year old Army Major Nidal Malik Hasan, is a military psychiatrist, trained to help soldiers in his unit.
Initial reports mistakenly indicated he had been killed in the exchange of the gunfire.
Lt. Gen Robert Cone: "He was not killed as previously reported, he is currently in custody and in stable condition." says Lieutenant General Robert Cone.
President Barack Obama made a statement about the shooting: "It's difficult enough when we lose these brave Americans in battles overseas. It is horrifying that they should come under fire at an Army base on American soil."
Fort Hood's First Cavalry Division, 15,000 troops, are serving in Iraq.
They've suffered the highest casualties there are any single military installation in the country.
But Thursday, their concern was for those they left behind.
"He has to get up at 5:00 to do a mission, and he has to worry about if we're okay back here where he left us where he thought we were safe." says one family member.
Hasan remains in stable condition at an area hospital. Muslim groups across the country have condemned what happened here, while calling for fellow muslims to take protective measures.
Diana Alvear reporting for ABC News at Fort Hood, Texas.