Students learn natural gas safety - WAOW - Newsline 9, Wausau News, Weather, Sports

Students learn natural gas safety

by Cami Mountain

STEVENS POINT (WAOW) -- In almost every one of our homes there's an appliance that uses natural gas.  It might be your furnace, stovetop or water heater.

That's why Wisconsin Public Service gas mechanics teach students the importance of natural gas safety.

Tuesday, they talked with several science classes at PJ Jacobs Junior High in Stevens Point.

They talked about using natural gas correctly, the dangers of using it incorrectly and how to sniff it out if natural gas converts into carbon monoxide.

Carbon monoxide is a bi-product of natural gas.  So, if you're gas furnace isn't working right, the poison can release into your home.

The mechanics hope their lessons teach students to go home and talk to their parents about having their gas appliances checked every year.

They also talked about knowing where to dig in your yard so gas lines aren't damaged.  They say before you dig, call the Diggers Hotline at 811 or (800)242-8511.

Online Reporter:  Cami Mountain

 

 

 

 

 

 

Powered by Frankly