Man dies aiding boy burned in backyard grill fire - WAOW - Newsline 9, Wausau News, Weather, Sports

Man dies aiding boy burned in backyard grill fire

MOORHEAD, Minn. (AP) -- A man collapsed and died after coming to the aid of a 12-year-old boy who was burned when a backyard grill exploded and caught fire in Moorhead.

Moorhead Fire Marshal Rich Duysen says in a news release Monday that Devan Vanbrunt appears to have been pouring gasoline on charcoal briquettes when the grill exploded Sunday evening.

The explosion was heard by 21-year-old Dan Tvedt at a nearby house. Tvelt and his father rushed to help, but Tvedt collapsed and went into cardiac arrest.

The news release says Vanbrunt has been flown to a Twin Cities burn center for care. An autopsy is scheduled for Tvedt.

Duysen says people should never use chemicals that are not designed for it to light charcoal and that the adult supervision is a must when igniting a grill.

(Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Powered by Frankly