Pet Pause: What to do when your pet gets stung - WAOW - Newsline 9, Wausau News, Weather, Sports

Pet Pause: What to do when your pet gets stung

by Natalie Sparacio & Dolores Glytas

WAKE UP WISCONSIN (WAOW)-- With the warm weather here everyone is coming out, including all types of bugs! Among those bugs are the dreaded stinging bugs.

We all need to be careful of bee and wasp stings especially if we know we are allergic. The same precaution goes for our pets.

Q.  Are there specific stinging bugs to worry about?

A.  Yellowjackets, wasps are the ones who repeatedly sting.  

Q. What are some of the reason pets get stung?

A.  Dogs and cats love to chase and eat bugs without regard for their safety. Thus getting stung in the mouth. 

Just walking thru a woodsy, or very overgrown leafy area. This sometimes kicks up nests.

Q. What should I do if my pet gets stung?

A.  FIRST— check the stung area, if there is a stinger imbedded , remove it by scrapping it out with something like a credit card. Pinching may release more toxins.

     SECOND--- apply an ice pack to reduce swelling.

     THIRD --- Administer Benedryl , antihistamine.

    CAUTION!!! Please check with your Veterinarian about the correct dosage for your pet.

    FOURTH --- If you pet starts going into anaphylactic shock ---Increased heart rate, excessive panting.  Go to the Veterinarian IMMEDIATELY!

Now is a great time for your pet's annual checkup and ask your Vet about the proper dosage of antihistamine for your pet.

 If your pet is allergic to stings your Vet may also prescribe an epipen for them.

Online Reporter: Natalie Sparacio 

Powered by Frankly