CHICAGO (AP) -- Cubs pitcher Carlos Zambrano has apologized for his dugout tirade last month during a television interview.
Zambrano went off after allowing four runs in the first inning against the White Sox at U.S. Cellular Field on June 25 and had to be separated from teammate Derrek Lee. He was suspended for three games and placed on the restricted list on June 29 with a mandate that he seek anger management counseling.
Zambrano says Monday on ESPN he apologizes "from the bottom of my heart" and that "was my fault."
Cubs manager Lou Piniella says he believes Zambrano is "contrite" and "looking forward to coming back," but reiterated he needs to address his teammates when he returns this weekend at Colorado. He had no comment on Zambrano apologizing first on national TV.
(Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)