Pet Pause: The dangers of second hand smoke and gum - WAOW - Newsline 9, Wausau News, Weather, Sports

Pet Pause: The dangers of second hand smoke and gum


by Natalie Sparacio & Dolores Glytas

WAKE UP WISCONSIN (WAOW)--  Pets have been known to get cancer from second hand smoke.  This is especially true for cats as the smoke deposits on their fur and they constantly clean themselves by licking their fur—thus swallowing the poison.

A big problem also is cigarette butts laying around the grounds where pets walk --- dogs, as we know will eat almost anything, and the butts can be very harmful when digested.

The same is true for sugarless gum--- when swallowed can even be fatal to some pets. This gum contains Xylital which is poisonous to pets.

So please, if you smoke or chew gum dispose of it in a responsible way – not by just tossing it on the ground.

Have a question you want on an upcoming Pet Pause segment? Email Dolores with your questions to

"Pet Pause" airs every Wednesday at 6:45 a.m. on Wake Up Wisconsin.

Online Reporter: Natalie Sparacio

Powered by Frankly