By Patrick Manning - bio | email | Twitter | Facebook
ROME (WAOW) -- Authorities say a house is a complete loss after a propane explosion Saturday night in the Town of Rome. One person was home during the blast.
Authorities say Matthew Granger was in the garage. It collapsed on him, and he was able to crawl out before the fire got worse.
He ran to a neighbors house. His hands and face, covered in burns and authorities were called.
Monday the UW-Madison hospital reported that Granger remains in serious condition. They could not release any more details.
"When I arrived on scene, the garage was totally collapsed and everything was burning," says John Frantz, chief of the Rome Fire Department.
Meanwhile Granger was air lifted to the University of Wisconsin-Madison burn unit.
And the Rome and Big Flats fire departments started to fight the blaze.
"Unfortunately the fire got bad above the firefighters inside the building, and they couldn't control it, so we had to back them on out," Frantz adds.
Neighbors two blocks away could feel the explosion.
"Yesterday about 4:06 we heard a loud explosion. Moved our walls around, the clocks fell off the wall, clocked stopped at approximately 4:06," says Vern Coyhis.
They say they weren't sure what it was.
"First we thought it was a sonic boom," he adds
They say the blaze in the basement was so bad, they had to knock holes through the foundation to control it. They spent a total of 7 hours fighting the fire.
The home, camper, and belongings are now a total loss.
For now the family will stay with relatives who live nearby, just grateful Matthew Granger's injuries weren't any worse.
Online Reporter: Patrick Manning
A Wausau family is turning their tragedy into hope for anyone struggling with thoughts of suicide.
1908 Grand Avenue, Wausau, WI 54403
News Tips: firstname.lastname@example.org or 715-842-9293