Here's information about Nicolet College's Outdoor Adventure Series from a news release.
Outdoor adventures that last an afternoon or nearly a week are available through Nicolet College's Outdoor Adventure Series, which features 65 different guided classes designed to help residents and visitors explore, understand and appreciate the natural environment.
The classes cover a broad range of activities including sea kayaking, canoeing, hiking, nature study, Northwoods history, yoga, fly fishing, birding, and much more.
Instruction levels vary with some classes designed for first-timers learning a new activity and other classes oriented to those with experience in a given endeavor.
The series, in its 15th year, kicks off Saturday, March 26, with a special class on how to grow your own gourmet mushrooms. The day-long, hands-on workshop will show participants the tools and techniques necessary to grow such culinary delights as Wine Cap, Tree Oyster, Shiitake, and Japanese Forest mushrooms. Instructors Joseph Krawczyk and Mary Kozak are authorities on the art of mushroom cultivation and travel extensively across the Midwest and East Coast giving workshops on the subject. In addition, they operate their Peshtigo-based mushroom business, which they founded in 1983. Cost for the workshop is $70 and it will run from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. March 26 in the Northwoods Center on Nicolet's Rhinelander campus.
Other notable classes include:
- The Five-Day Paddling Sampler, where participants will explore a variety of Northwoods rivers, creeks and lakes from July 14 to 19;
- The Northwoods Hiking Sampler, where intrepid trekkers will survey several of the finest, most picturesque hiking trails in the western U.P. and northern Wisconsin from August 5 to 9;
- Kids Kayaking, where youngsters spend a couple hours learning how to kayak on July 20.
- Sea kayaking the Apostle Islands July 8 to 10 and August 5 to 8; and Minnesota's North Shore from July 26 to 29.
- And stand up paddle surfing, a new class that brings this sport founded in the Hawaiian Islands to the Northwoods on July 18.
For more information, or to receive the 2011 Outdoor Adventure Series catalog, call Nicolet at (715) 356-6753, 1-800-585-9304, or TDD (715) 365-4558 or 711 relay. Information is also available online at nicoletcollege.edu.