WAUSAU (WAOW)--Firefighters spent hours battling a fire on Chicago Avenue Sunday morning. A representative from the Wausau Fire Department says the single occupant, a woman, was able to get out safely.
The call came in at 3:28 a.m. Firefighters report the blaze was caused by an extension chord in the bedroom. A woman was asleep in that room when the fire started.
Battalion Chief Doug Beula says her dog jumped on the bed and woke the woman, allowing both to get out safely despite the room being engulfed in flames.
Tune in to Newsline 9 at five and 10 for the latest details.