EAGLE RIVER, Wis. (AP) -- Federal officials say eight bald eagles in northern Wisconsin were apparently near death this spring after being accidentally poisoned.
The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is investigating the incident.
The eagles were found comatose last month at a landfill in the Eagle River area. Wildlife rehabilitator Marge Gibson says one flew away and was later found dead. The others were taken to the Raptor Education Group center in Antigo, where the staff worked on them around the clock.
Gibson says most were unconscious for about three days but all recovered. She tells Wisconsin Public Radio can't comment on what the birds may have ingested because of the investigation, but she says the incident illustrates that people need to understand how their activities affect wildlife.