Some fireworks require permit - WAOW - Newsline 9, Wausau News, Weather, Sports

Some fireworks require permit

WAUSAU (WAOW) -- People are getting ready to celebrate the fourth of July in just a few days, and that means fireworks.

But Wisconsin officials are warning people to get a permit for certain types of fireworks. State law allows people to use sparklers, toy snakes, smoke bombs, noisemakers, and other fireworks that don't have much explosive mixture in them. Anyone of any age can buy them.

Other fireworks such as roman candles, bottle rockets, and firecrackers require a permit. Those permits are issued by individual cities or towns. Violating this law can result in a fine.

An operator of a firework stand near Wal-Mart in Rib Mountain says he has customers looking for various types of fireworks.

"People come through that are looking of course for the bottle rockets and the materials that leave the ground," said Heller. "But then there's others that come in that have the smaller children and so forth, and they're specifically looking for the more safe fireworks for them."

Heller says none of his fireworks require a permit. He also says business started slowly, but that he expects it to pick up as we get closer to July 4.

Online Reporter: Daniel Woodruff

Powered by Frankly