Wis. teen electrocuted while gathering earthworms - WAOW - Newsline 9, Wausau News, Weather, Sports

Wis. teen electrocuted while gathering earthworms

CASSVILLE, Wis. (AP) -- A 13-year-old has been accidentally electrocuted while trying to gather earthworms in his yard for a fishing trip with his father in the Village of Cassville in southwest Wisconsin.

The Grant County sheriff's office reports Evan J. Hauk was using a 110-volt electric prod to drive earthworms to the surface of his yard on Wednesday.  He was barefoot when he got the lethal shock.

Grant County Sheriff Keith Govier says the boy's father called 911 about 8:30 a.m. Wednesday.  Emergency medical personnel responded and took Evan to Grant Regional Health Center, where he was pronounced dead.

Govier says using electricity to gather worms is a common technique in the area and he considers it safe -- when the equipment is in good working order and the operator follows instructions.

Powered by Frankly