UPDATE: UW-Madison electrician dies from injuries - WAOW - Newsline 9, Wausau News, Weather, Sports

UPDATE: UW-Madison electrician dies from injuries

MADISON (WKOW) -- The University of Wisconsin-Madison electrician involved in a suspected electrocution on Tuesday afternoon has died, according to authorities.

At about 4:15 p.m., UW and Madison police officers and the Madison Fire Department responded to a reported electrocution at the Humanities Building in an attic above Mills Concert Hall.

UW-Madison spokesman John Lucas says the employee was taken to UW Hospital but was not able to be revived. He was pronounced dead at approximately 5:15 p.m.

His name is being withheld at this time.

*******

MADISON (WKOW) -- Leaders at the University of Wisconsin-Madison posted on the university Twitter account that their thoughts and prayers are with an electrician and his family.  The man suffered an electric shock inside the UW Humanities Building.

It all started at about 4:15 p.m. Tuesday.

Madison Fire Public Information Officer Lori Wirth says this happened as the electrician was working on wiring in an attic two stories above the concert hall.

The other electrician he was working with heard the man scream when he was shocked with electricity, and immediately called 911.

EMS workers had a very difficult time getting to the victim. That's because the only way to get up into the tight space he was in, was through a series of ladders.

The Madison Fire Department's rescue team harnessed the man to lower him to a stretcher.

"It was a little difficult. We always like to get on scene and get to somebody right away there were a few barriers to that tonight, but with the heavy rescue team we were able to get him down safely," said Madison Fire Department Public Information Officer Lori Wirth.

Lori Wirth says the electrician was then rushed to UW Hospital.

The man's name has not been released because authorities are still notifying his family members about what happened.

No one else was hurt.

*************************

MADISON (WKOW) -- Emergency crews responded to the Humanities Building on the UW campus for a report of a possible electrocution.

MFD spokeswoman Lori Wirth says a number of electricians were working in the attic over the concert hall space in the Humanities Building. One of the electricians was working in a small 4x4 confined area about two stories above the stage.  While working on wiring, the man was shocked.  Because of his location in the building, Wirth said there was no good way to reach him.

The Madison Fire Heavy Urban Rescue Team set up riggings to safely drop the patient from the attic.  Once the man was safely brought down, EMTs brought him to UW Hospital.  At this point, there's no word on his condition.

Crews shut down Park St. from University Ave. to Langdon St. while they were on scene.

On its Twitter account, the university said there is no danger to the campus, but asked people to avoid the area.

Powered by Frankly