WAUSAU (WAOW) -- Winter is just around the corner, and fire officials want you to check your appliances and alarms to make sure you are protected from Carbon Monoxide poisoning.
You can't see it, or smell it, but Carbon Monoxide can be deadly. Firefighter Mark Krueger said using a stoves, different heating systems, and burning charcoal or wood can release the deadly gas.
"Anything that has an open flame you can have concentrations of carbon monoxide," said Mark Krueger with the Wausau Fire Department.
As more people start using home appliances to stay warm, Krueger said it's important to make sure they're working properly.
"If you see a yellow flame, then that's not burning completely. If it's a gas fired appliance it should have a nice blue flame and that shows that the products are being burned as efficiently as possible," said Krueger.
A law that went into effect in February requires all homes in Wisconsin to have Carbon Monoxide detectors on every floor.
Ace Hardware employee, James Fellbaum, said the law has increased awareness.
"They've been around for a long time it's just that most people didn't think of that. You just end up hearing bad stories especially getting into this time of the year and especially after the first of the year," said Fellbaum.
Some customers said it's a wake up call.
"Safety. You know you always hear the stories about people that didn't make it because they had troubles with their furnace or they tried to fix their furnace, and things like that, that didn't work out for them. You don't want that," said Wausau resident Mike Lawrence.
Krueger said a Carbon Monoxide detector can be placed anywhere in the home.
He said the key is having your appliances inspected by a professional before being used. According to the Centers for Disease control, symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning are similar to those of the flu, including headaches, feeling dizzy or confused.