Carbon monoxide leak in New London - WAOW - Newsline 9, Wausau News, Weather, Sports

Carbon monoxide leak in New London sends multiple people to the hospital

Posted:

NEW LONDON (WAOW) -- New London Fire Department officials responded to an apartment complex in the City of New London early Sunday morning and found several people suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning.

They say firefighters evacuated the entire apartment building and found a 15-year-old female unresponsive in her bed. Newsline 9's ABC affiliate in Green Bay, WBAY, is reporting at least 9 people were sent to the hospital.

Officials say they responded to the apartment complex on Oakridge Lane in the City of New London after initial reports of four people being ill. They say they later found at least 9 more people who were ill. Firefighters say they believe a broken exhaust pipe on a hot water heater in the basement may have been the source of the carbon monoxide leak into the building.

The Fire Department says crews found carbon monoxide levels as high as 615 parts per million inside the apartment and as high as 1115 parts per million in the basement. Authorities say a concentration of 400 parts per million is capable of causing death within two to three hours.

Five ambulances from New London, Bear Creek, Manawa, Clintonville, and Fremont responded to transport those patients to area hospitals.

 

Powered by Frankly