Documents needed to get a Voter ID card - WAOW - Newsline 9, Wausau News, Weather, Sports

Update on Ruthelle Frank, voter without valid ID card

MARATHON COUNTY (WAOW) -  We have a follow up on a Voter ID issue that could keep some seniors from the polls.  The story focused on Ruthelle Frank of Brokaw.

  Following that report we visited again with the local state senators who were quoted.

  Ruthelle Frank has voted in every election dating back 66 years.

  Frank: "I can't remember a year that I didn't vote."

  But as Newsline 9 showed you this week, Frank does not have a photo ID that would be considered valid under Wisconsin's Voter ID law.  To get one, she needs a birth certificate.  But that costs $20.  And this 83 year old refuses to pay.

Frank: "That's like paying $30 to vote and I don't think that's fair."

  Frank lives in Senator Pam Galloway's district.  Galloway says the Voter ID law was based on Indiana's law, which was upheld by the Supreme Court.  And Frank could still fulfill the voter requirement by making the payment.

Galloway: "She obviously has the right to do that but the state did pass the law, which has withstood a constitutional challenge to ensure our election process has safeguards."

 Senator Jim Holperin says Frank is an example of voters who would be shut out of the polls

Holperin: "It wasn't at all surprising to find out that there are people in Wisconsin in Ruthelle's circumstances.  And she's not the only one.  There are hundreds, perhaps thousands similarly situated."

So Holperin introduced a bill this week that would waive the fee for a birth certificate.


Holperin: "It's a very important issue, either financially or philosophically and just an aggrevation that people shouldn't have to put up with."

In a trip to Wausau this week, Governor Scott Walker said the bill sounded reasonable.

Gov. Scott Walker: "For the limited amount of cases where someone may have a challenge, particularly because of age, because at some point in the past a documentation like a birth certificate wasn't available.  Again, doing something like what Sen. Holperin and others have presented, is to me a viable alternative."

 The Department of Motor Vehicles is issuing free ID cards to comply with Wisconsin's Voter ID law.  The DMV issued a list of documents you need to get a card. 

(PRESS RELEASE) - The state legislature recently passed a law that requires people to present an acceptable photo ID when voting. Following is some information to help those who need to obtain a Wisconsin ID card for voting purposes better prepare for a visit to the DMV.

If you don't have photo ID for voting, DMV can issue a photo ID free of charge if you will be at least 18 years of age on the date of the next election and request an ID card for the purpose of voting.

A free ID card is NOT available if you

·         Currently have a valid, unexpired driver license

·         Will not be at least 18 years of age on the date of the next election

·         Already have a Wisconsin ID card that is not eligible for renewal (you may renew your ID card up to one year prior to its expiration date)

·         Are not eligible to vote in Wisconsin


When applying, it will be necessary to provide your Social Security number and one document from each category below.


·         Proof of name and date of birth:

    Certified U.S. birth certificate (not a copy)

    Valid U.S. passport

    Certificate of Naturalization

    Tribal ID card


·         Proof of  identity:

    Social Security card

    Certified copy of a marriage certificate or judgment of divorce

    A driver license or ID card form another state (this must be surrendered to get a Wisconsin driver license or ID card)


·         Proof of Wisconsin residency – Documents listed below must include your name and current Wisconsin residence street address:

    Pay check or stub or earning statement with your name and Wisconsin address, and your employer's name and address, issued within the last 90 days. Your employer's telephone number may be required for verification.

    A bill for water, gas, electricity, landline telephone, cable or cell phone service issued within the last 90 days. Electronic copies are acceptable.

    An account statement from a Wisconsin bank/financial institution issued within the last 90 days. Electronic copies are acceptable.

    Certified school record or transcript that identifies you by name, shows your current address and is issued within the last 90 days for the most recent school period.

    Mortgage documents for a residential property located in Wisconsin.

    Community based/assisted living residential contracts.

    Your current valid homeowner, renter or motor vehicle insurance policy dated within one year of application.

    A letter from a homeless shelter.


·         Proof of U.S. citizenship, legal permanent resident, conditional resident or temporary visitor status:

    U.S. state or local government-issued certificate of birth (certified copy - birth registration and hospital certificates are not acceptable).

    Valid U.S. passport

    U.S. Certificate of Naturalization or U.S. Certificate of Citizenship


The Government Accountability Board notes that an unexpired Wisconsin driver license is the most common acceptable photo ID for voting. An expired Wisconsin driver license or ID is acceptable too as long as it expired within two years after the most recent general election. In other words, if a Wisconsin ID or driver license expired in December 2010, it can still be used for voting purposes in the November 2012 general election.


The most common documents are listed above. For a complete list of acceptable documents and more information on how to get a Wisconsin ID card, visit the Wisconsin DMV online at


For more information on voting in Wisconsin, visit the Wisconsin Government Accountability Board online at


NOTE:  View this document on the Web at:

Powered by Frankly