Fire at Madison housing complex displaces dozens - WAOW - Newsline 9, Wausau News, Weather, Sports

Fire at Madison housing complex displaces dozens

Posted:

MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- About 100 people have been displaced by a fire at a community housing building near the University of Wisconsin campus in Madison.

Dane County 911 supervisor Chas Klauer says the fire at 306 N. Brooks St. began about 6:30 p.m., and firefighters were still on the scene at 8:15 p.m.

He says there were no reports of fatalities, but there were possible injuries. He did not have details.

He says the Madison fire department is working with the Red Cross to try to find shelter for those displaced.

WISC-TV reports the building is a community housing complex run by Porchlight Inc. Porchlight Inc. executive director Steven Schooler tells the station that 101 residents live in the building, and the fire apparently started in a group kitchen.

(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Powered by Frankly