MARATHON COUNTY (WAOW)-- Blastomycosis is a potentially fatal fungus that can be inhaled by humans and animals. Health experts say the spores tend to be found in river beds or shallow pools of water and symptoms can show up months after being inhaled, or not at all.
Veterinarians told Newsline 9 that the fungus, though uncommon, is found in Marathon County. Pets are more likely to inhale the spores because their noses are close to the ground.
Symptoms of the infection include a fever and dry cough. According to health experts, muscle aches and chest tightness can also be a sign of the infection.