Investigators believe candle caused Wausau house fire - WAOW - Newsline 9, Wausau News, Weather, Sports

Investigators believe candle caused Wausau house fire

WAUSAU (WAOW) -

Investigators believe a candle is to blame for an overnight fire on Wausau's west-side.

Fire crews responded to 1005 N 10th Ave. just after 2 a.m. Friday.

Fire officials say the fire was contained to the bedroom. The house sustained heavy smoke damage. The fire also left a hole on the side of the house.

"It's not suspicious in nature," says Wausau Fire Dept. Battalion Chief Paul Czarapata. "We haven't completed a thorough investigation, but all indications are that it's accidental. It appears to be related to the use of a candle."

Fire crews say one woman was home at the time. She wasn't hurt.

Czarapata says a cat woke the woman up. A second cat was killed in the blaze.

Fire officials say the house does not have any smoke detectors.

Powered by Frankly