Storm sparks a fire, destroying a home in Town of Grant - WAOW - Newsline 9, Wausau News, Weather, Sports

Storm sparks a fire, destroying a home in Town of Grant


A storm sparked a fire, destroying a home in the Town of Grant.

The homeowner, Patrick Smolarek, tells Newsline 9, lightning struck a tree, then caught a nearby house on fire. Everyone inside the home was able to get out safely.

"Everybody was safe, no one got injured which was a great thing. The house ignited really, really fast due to the acceleration of the gas line, so it was a matter of minutes. Had it happened in the evening none of us would have gotten out of the house. I guess we're very fortunate that it happened at the time it happened," said Smolarek.

The homeowners tells Newsline 9 most of their belongings were destroyed, and that their home is a total loss.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WAOW. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Chief Engineer Russ Crass at 715-842-2251. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at