UPDATE: Marshfield FD says charcoal started fire - WAOW - Newsline 9, Wausau News, Weather, Sports

UPDATE: Marshfield FD says charcoal started fire

Posted:
MARSHFIELD (WAOW) -

Authorities said charcoal is to blame for a fire that sparked in Marshfield early Saturday morning.

Firefighters were called to the scene on East 3rd Street after a neighbor walked by and saw the fire. Authorities said some people were home at the time but everyone got out safely. They said the fire was accidental and they believe someone left charcoal in a dumpster outside the building.

"It's very important that we have this time of year people using charcoal," said Marshfield Fire Department Lt. Jody Clements. "It's a safe product but you have to know what you're doing with it. If you're going to dispose of it, dispose of it properly."

Authorities estimate the fire caused between $150,000 and $200,000 in damage.

Powered by Frankly