New welding school to open in Eagle River - WAOW - Newsline 9, Wausau News, Weather, Sports

New welding school to open in Eagle River

Posted:
EAGLE RIVER (WAOW) -

Eagle River is about to become home to a brand new welding school.

The grand opening is less than 2 months away and the director says the school will fill a huge need in Wisconsin.

"We got this building a couple of months ago and we're working on the fit up for the welding booths, the machines and the classrooms," said Brian Scheid, Director of AWI in Eagle River. 

In less than 2 months, the new Advanced Welding Institute in Eagle River should be up and running. And it's the only specialized school in the state offering this advanced training.

"Wisconsin has a heavy manufacturing base," said Scheid.

AWI's sister school started in 2003 in Vermont. It's popularity led officials to want to open another school, and they chose to do so in Wisconsin.

"I was pretty excited so I can stay close to home and get the degree I wanted," said Joseph Woodard, an AWI student. 

Woodard plans to attend AWI this fall.

"More hands-on, more in the booth and you get more time with the instructors," said Woodard.

He'll take part in a six-month program and he's one of only 15 students accepted.

85 percent of the time, Woodard will spend it welding and the other 15 percent will be spent in the classroom.

After the six months, it's time to look for a job, but school leaders say that the easy part. 

"It's a growing field every month and every year it seems to increase so you know there's thousands of jobs out there for welders and we have openings to get those students trained," said Scheid.

"I know coming out of this program it's not going to be very hard to find a job," said Woodard.

And he's excited for that, but for now it's all about applying himself, so he can apply for jobs in the future.

The first day of classes begin September 24th.

AWI is now accepting applications for Fall and Spring semesters.

To apply online head to http://www.wiweldingschool.com, or call to schedule a tour of the facility.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WAOW. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Chief Engineer Russ Crass at 715-842-2251. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at fccinfo@fcc.gov.