UW-Marshfield/Wood County to add student housing - WAOW - Newsline 9, Wausau News, Weather, Sports

UW-Marshfield/Wood County to add student housing


Codi Hasbrouck is in his second year at UW-Marshfield/Wood County.

And while he enjoys the college experience, he said something is missing.

"There really isn't that much of a feeling of community," said Hasbrouck.

That's why school officials want to develop that sense of community by building on-campus housing.

It's something many Wisconsin two-year universities are already doing.

"Right now, we are a commuter campus where a lot of students drive here, they stay for the day, and then they go back home," said Michelle Boernke, Assistant Dean of Administrative Services.

School leaders say the dorm would serve 80 to 100 students.

It would cost the county nothing. Instead, a private developer would build and manage the property, and the cost would be covered by student housing fees.

"I think those students would enjoy the campus experience, the student life, if they could actually stay here and live here and be part of the community," said Boernke.

But not all students are convinced the University needs housing.

"I don't know how much people would actually use student housing since they all come from basically a 30 mile radius," said Laura Holm, a freshman at UW-Marshfield/Wood County.

She said she thinks most students have no problem living with their parents.

"I think most of the students who come here are really local students who are trying to save money," said Holm.

But Hasbrouck said a dorm would make the campus feel more like a community.

"You might be able to knock on a few doors, say ‘hey,' and chill or hang out," said Hasbrouck.

School leaders said there is no timeline for the project right now, but they hope to have a design by the end of the month.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WAOW. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Chief Engineer Russ Crass at 715-842-2251. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at fccinfo@fcc.gov.