Hot grease disposal sparks fire, damaging garage, home - WAOW - Newsline 9, Wausau News, Weather, Sports

Hot grease disposal sparks fire, damaging garage, home

Posted:

MERRILL (WAOW) - A rural Merrill woman trying to dispose of some hot grease ignited her garage and part of her home on fire, the Lincoln County Sheriff's Department said Tuesday.

The department said the woman, who lived on Pope Road just north of Merrill, put some hot grease into a garbage can in the garage with some other debris about 2 p.m. and it ignited.

Investigators say the woman poured water into the can to try and douse the flames, which caused sparks to fly up and ignite some insulation.

"The home and garage appear to have suffered substantial damage and appear to be a total loss," Sheriff Jeff Jaeger said in a statement.

The Merrill and Town of Pine River fire departments fought the blaze.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WAOW. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Chief Engineer Russ Crass at 715-842-2251. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at fccinfo@fcc.gov.