Three people are safe after a fire gutted their house in Merrill
MERRILL (WAOW) -
Three people are safe after a fire gutted their house in Merrill.
The fire happened on 7th Street around 1 a.m. on Wednesday.
The fire chief says three people including the 57-year-old homeowner were asleep inside when the fire started.
He says the smoke detector alerted the homeowner to the fire, who then woke up the other two people.
The fire chief says all three got out safely.
"He wanted to make sure those two other people were taken care of and got out of the house safely so danger yes, there was danger he actually crawled to the seed of the fire as we call it, he actually crawled closer to the fire to go to the other bedrooms to get those other two ladies out," said Merrill Fire Chief, Dave Savone.
Officials say no one was hurt.
They say they believe the fire started in the stair case in the basement.