Australia blocks NKorean plan to reopen embassy - WAOW - Newsline 9, Wausau News, Weather, Sports

Australia blocks NKorean plan to reopen embassy

Posted:
CANBERRA, Australia (AP) -

Australia has indefinitely blocked North Korea's plans to reopen its embassy in the Australian capital because of Pyongyang's nuclear weapons testing.

   Australian Foreign Minister Bob Carr's spokesman Patrick Low said Thursday that the government told Pyongyang that the proposal was suspended while the United Nations Security Council considered its response to North Korea's third nuclear test on Feb. 12.

   North Korea first opened an embassy in Canberra in 2002 but closed it for financial reasons six years later.

   Pyongyang approached the government in December with plans to send an ambassador. A team of diplomats was to fly to Canberra last month to search for an embassy site. Australia cancelled the trip following the nuclear test.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WAOW. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Chief Engineer Russ Crass at 715-842-2251. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at fccinfo@fcc.gov.