Family: Wausau crash victim battled addiction - WAOW - Newsline 9, Wausau News, Weather, Sports

Family: Wausau crash victim battled addiction


The family of a Wausau crash victim says addiction may have led to his death. 

Authorities say 24-year-old Michael Dixon was behind the wheel of a car, when he crashed in Wausau on Saturday. 

For the first time, his family is speaking about the incident, only with Newsline 9.

"I had a lot of hope that he would eventually beat it," Michael Dixon's father, Ralph Dixon said.

It's been almost one week since Ralph Dixon's son died in a car crash in Wausau.

"He talked of all his hopes, how excited he was, that he knew without any doubt that he wasn't going to fall back into temptation," Ralph Dixon said.

Dixon says that temptation was a drug addiction. He says his son, Michael Dixon, had begged for help.

"He told me no matter how much I do, no matter what I do, I can't beat it," Ralph Dixon says as he recalls a conversation with his son.

Dixon's family says Michael got out of a rehab facility just one day before the deadly crash.

"Within one day, this drug was so powerful it was able to pull him back in," Ralph Dixon said.

"It was such a war within himself, battling with himself," Michael Dixon's sister Liana Dixon said.

Wausau police say a syringe, spoon, and lighter were found in the car. Officers say the items lead them to believe heroin may have been involved. As Michael's family sits broken-hearted, they hope their tragedy can save others.

"I've seen a lot of people already say to us, my life will never be the same," Ralph Dixon told Newsline 9.

"It will affect some people's lives in a good way, even though it's hard to see that right now, but this will be used for good in the end," Liana Dixon said.

"There are lives being touched and that's what it's really about," Ralph Dixon said.

Toxicology results are expected to take a few weeks to know exactly what caused the crash. Michael Dixon's four-year-old son Jordan was in the car, and sent to the hospital. He remains in critical condition.

Powered by Frankly