Fire destroys Wisconsin Rapids home, displacing two people - WAOW - Newsline 9, Wausau News, Weather, Sports

Fire destroys Wisconsin Rapids home, displacing two people

Posted:
WISCONSIN RAPIDS (WAOW) -

A fire caused by a charcoal grill destroyed a house in Wisconsin Rapids Tuesday afternoon.

According to Wisconsin Rapids Fire Capt. Bob Barteck, it took firefighters about 45 minutes to put out the fire at 431 7th Avenue South. It happened just after 5:00 p.m. Tuesday.

Barteck said ash from a charcoal grill fell onto a wood deck, causing the blaze. The fire quickly traveled up the side of the house and, after an explosion broke a window, spread inside.

Wind fanned the flames, contributing to the intensity of the fire, Barteck said.

The house is a "total loss," said Barteck. No one was hurt.

The Red Cross is helping two brothers who lived at the home find temporary housing.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WAOW. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Chief Engineer Russ Crass at 715-842-2251. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at fccinfo@fcc.gov.