China says no foreign link in Xinjiang violence - WAOW - Newsline 9, Wausau News, Weather, Sports

China says no foreign link in Xinjiang violence

Posted:
BEIJING (AP) -

A Chinese official says investigators have found no foreign links to last week's extremist violence in the northwestern region of Xinjiang that left 25 people dead.

   The statement from Xinjiang government spokesman Hou Hanmin diverges from the usual Chinese claims that violence in Xinjiang is connected to or directed by overseas-based separatists or insurgent groups. Beijing has consistently claimed that July 2009 rioting in the regional capital Urumqi that left almost 200 people dead was orchestrated by Rebiya Kadeer, an activist for Xinjiang's native Uighur ethnic group based in the U.S. Kadeer denies the accusation.

   Hou was quoted by the official China Daily newspaper as saying that, unlike in 2009, the investigation into the April 23 violence concluded that "the terrorists had no connection with foreign forces."

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WAOW. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Chief Engineer Russ Crass at 715-842-2251. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at fccinfo@fcc.gov.