Police say a dog in Shawano County is recovering after being fed rat poison. The dog's owner tells Newsline 9 someone threw a treat laced with poison into her backyard.
Sage is a six-year-old terrier owned by the Carlson family.
"She is a very important part of our family," Jen Carlson told Newsline 9.
Tigerton Police say Sage was intentionally poisoned.
"At this point, we do have some leads that we are trying to follow up," said Tigerton Police Officer Michael Weatherwax.
Carlson said her dogs were playing in her yard, when someone threw them a treat. Vets confirmed the treat was laced with rat poison.
"I didn't really see what was put in our backyard. I just saw that all three of our dogs were eating it rather quickly. So by the time I got back there, it was all gone," Carlson added.
Carlson said even though all three dogs ate the treats, only Sage became sick.
"I couldn't believe it. We've never had to buy anything like that, so I knew it wasn't anything that we had laying around the house," said Carlson.
Carlson said a week after Sage ate the treat, she noticed something unusual. When the family looked at Sage's stomach, it was purple and blue.
Tigerton Police tell Newsline 9 they're never seen anything like this.
"This is very rare. In the 12 years that I have been here, this is the first time I've ever dealt with something like this," said officer Weatherwax.
"It's just unbelievable that anyone would intentionally ever hurt a pet like this," said Carlson.
Carlson said she hopes her story can help others.
"It would be nice to know what happened, and if not at least make other pet owners aware of what could happen," Carlson added.
For now, Carlson said she will be keeping a closer eye on her dogs.
If you have any information on the poisoning, you're asked to give the Shawano County Sheriff's Department a call.
Parents left in the dark about a school threat in Tomahawk are speaking out.
1908 Grand Avenue, Wausau, WI 54403
News Tips: firstname.lastname@example.org or 715-842-9293