Cigarette butt ignites Wausau house fire - WAOW - Newsline 9, Wausau News, Weather, Sports

Cigarette butt ignites Wausau house fire

Posted:

WAUSAU (WAOW) – A cigarette butt ignited a fire that damaged a Wausau home Wednesday, the Wausau Fire Department said.

Firefighters cut a 2-foot by 2-foot hole in an outside wall to put out the fire, and little interior damage occurred, Battalion Chief Paul Czarapata said.

The fire was reported about 3:45 p.m. at the corner of North Third and McIndoe streets, causing an estimated $200 in damage, he said.

Investigators believe a cigarette butt that was still smoldering somehow got up against a sill plate of the house and started the fire, Czarapata said.

Someone driving by saw smoke and called 911, he said.

Czarapata said firefighters found evidence of cigarette butts on a porch of the home and on the ground near where the fire erupted, providing evidence of the danger of not properly disposing of smoking materials.

The wind can blow a smoldering cigarette butt into a crack in the wood, he said.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WAOW. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Chief Engineer Russ Crass at 715-842-2251. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at fccinfo@fcc.gov.