9/11 defendant: US withholds food at Guantanamo - WAOW - Newsline 9, Wausau News, Weather, Sports

9/11 defendant: US withholds food at Guantanamo

Posted:
GUANTANAMO BAY NAVAL BASE, Cuba (AP) -

 A defendant in the Sept. 11 case says Guantanamo Bay guards have been withholding food when he's in court or meeting with his lawyer.

   Ramzi bin al Shibh made the allegation in a pretrial hearing in the Sept. 11 war crimes case. He told the military judge guards deprive him of food as a form of "psychological torture." Military officials deny the allegation.

 The judge, Army Col. James Pohl, allowed bin al Shibh to leave court and return to his cell for the day. The four other defendants had earlier chosen not to attend Tuesday's session.

   Bin al Shibh's complaints came during lengthy arguments over the rules for handling classified evidence that must be established before the defense can prepare for a trial likely more than a year away.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WAOW. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Chief Engineer Russ Crass at 715-842-2251. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at fccinfo@fcc.gov.