UPDATE: Electric stove causes house fire in Wausau - WAOW - Newsline 9, Wausau News, Weather, Sports

UPDATE: Electric stove causes house fire in Wausau

Posted: Updated:
WAUSAU (WAOW) -

Firefighters battled a house fire at a Wausau duplex Friday afternoon.

The fire happened at 111 1/2 North 5th Avenue. According to Wausau Fire Lt. Wally Olson, it started shortly after 5:00 p.m.

Olson said neighbors noticed smoke coming out of the second floor window in the upper unit. He said that's where a kitchen is located.

Olson said a paint pan and cardboard box were lying on top of an electric stove. Somehow the stove turned on, causing the fire, Olson said.

No one lives in the upper unit, Olson said. The downstairs unit is occupied, but no one was home when the fire started, he said.

The fire was put out within ten minutes, Olson said. Power was shut off to the entire duplex, and it likely won't be restored until Monday, he said.

 

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WAOW. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Chief Engineer Russ Crass at 715-842-2251. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at fccinfo@fcc.gov.