Korean War era grenade detonated in Vilas Co. - WAOW - Newsline 9, Wausau News, Weather, Sports

Korean War era grenade detonated in Vilas Co.


Neighbors at the Hiawatha Trailer Resort in Woodruff said the campgrounds are usually pretty quiet. But that wasn't the case Thursday.
"There was a lot of police around here," said Harriet Christophersen, Neighbor.

Harriet Christophersen has vacationed there for 33 years. She said the commotion after a grenade was found, left a lot of people talking.

"Pretty soon it was roped off, nobody could come down here," said Christophersen.

Resort managers said a maintenance worker was walking between two trailers, when he noticed a grenade sitting on the ground.

Managers said he told them and they called police.

"Officers responded, located a World War II vintage pineapple grenade and secured the grenade because we were unsure if it was active or inactive," said Joseph Fath, Vilas County Sheriff.

Vilas County officials said the grenade's owner, a 67-year-old Beloit man, said he brought it back from Korea and described it as being a dud.

Authorities said the department called in the Oneida County and Marathon County bomb squads to investigate.

"They put it in some type of container and hauled it to a destination where it could be safely detonated and no one could be harmed," said Fath.

Authorities said criminal charges aren't expected.

Newsline 9 reached out to the grenade's owner about the situation, he declined to comment.


ARBOR VITAE (WAOW) – The Vilas County Sheriff's Department says a Korean War era grenade was safely detonated after it was found at a mobile home court in Arbor Vitae.

No one was hurt, investigators said Friday.

The grenade, described as damaged and in a deteriorating condition, was found at Hiawatha Trailer Resort, and police were alerted by the owner of the business, the sheriff's department said in a statement.

Lt. Troy Kane said a maintenance worker at the resort discovered the grenade in the yard between two mobile homes on Thursday.

"He bought it to the office and said, 'Hey, I found this fake grenade," Kane said.

Police were called, they determined the grenade was authentic, the resort office and the surrounding area was evacuated, the Oneida/Marathon bomb squad was called, the grenade was taken to a gravel pit, bomb experts packed explosives around it and it was blown up, Kane said.

The grenade's owner, a 67-year-old Beloit man, told investigators that he brought the grenade back from Korea, Kane said. "He described it as being a dud."

Investigators decided it was too risky to just take the man's word that the grenade was inert, Kane said.

"The striker was still in it," the investigator said.




Powered by Frankly