KINSHASA, Congo (AP) -
A statement issued by the mediators trying to resolve the latest fighting in Congo says the two sides have made "significant progress" since the talks in Uganda began last week.
The statement issued Tuesday by the talks facilitator in Kampala, says the two sides agreed that 65 percent of the provisions in the 2009 accord have been implemented, while 35 percent haven't. They agreed to implement the balance.
The M23 rebels are made up of fighters from a now-defunct rebel group who signed a peace agreement with Congo in 2009. That deal paved the way for the rebels to join the regular Congolese military. They defected in 2012, claiming the agreement was not properly implemented, and briefly seized control of one of eastern Congo's largest cities late last year.