UPDATE Fireplace possible cause of cottage fire - WAOW - Newsline 9, Wausau News, Weather, Sports

UPDATE Fireplace possible cause of cottage fire

Posted:

IRMA (WAOW) – A fire early Tuesday morning destroyed a cottage in Irma as slippery road conditions from an overnight snowfall hindered firefighters' response, the Merrill Fire Department said.

The fire was reported by a passerby about 7 a.m. at a cottage on Tug Lake on North Shore Road, said Steve Hintze, the shift commander for the fire department.

No one was hurt.

The fire is believed to have started in the living room and a fire had been started in a fireplace before the home's owner had left for the morning, Capt. Scott Krause said.

The fireplace is being investigated as a possible source of the fire, he said.

With the weather conditions and slippery roads, it took firefighters longer than normal to travel the 10 miles to the scene, Hintze said.

It was destroyed by the time we got there,” he said.

 
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WAOW. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Chief Engineer Russ Crass at 715-842-2251. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at fccinfo@fcc.gov.