11 flee fire at Wausau duplex; Wire overheats - WAOW - Newsline 9, Wausau News, Weather, Sports

11 flee fire at Wausau duplex; Wire overheats

Posted:
WAUSAU (WAOW) – Eleven people, including four children, were displaced when an electrical wire overheated and started a two-story duplex on fire, city Fire Marshal Dave DeSantis said Tuesday.

The fire erupted about 6:30 a.m. Monday on Emter Street in southwest Wausau, he said. No one was hurt.

The fire was discovered when a downstairs tenant was alerted by a neighbor that smoke was coming out of the duplex's roof, DeSantis said.

Six people who lived downstairs got out on their own and five people upstairs got alerted by rescue crews and were helped from the home, DeSantis said.

The fire started in the ceiling of the upstairs apartment when some electrical wires overheated due to the use of improperly sized fuses and circuit breakers, DeSantis said.

The building housing the duplex is 102 years old and suffered moderate damage, he said.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WAOW. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Chief Engineer Russ Crass at 715-842-2251. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at fccinfo@fcc.gov.