UPDATE: Mosinee woman hurt in duplex explosion - WAOW - Newsline 9, Wausau News, Weather, Sports

UPDATE: Mosinee woman hurt in duplex explosion

Posted: Updated:
MOSINEE (WAOW) -- The Mosinee Fire Chief says a woman was taken to the hospital after a duplex explosion Wednesday night. Crews say they were called to the scene twice.

Investigators say the first call came in around 10:45 p.m. Wednesday to a duplex on the 500 block of Maple Street. Mosinee Fire Chief Josh Klug says the explosion, on one side of the building, was caused by a propane tank similar to ones used by small cooking appliances.

Klug says the explosion blew out windows, doors, even a wall and caused a fire. He says the fire was put out and crews left the scene.

"When crews made entry they confined the fire to the room of origin, removed the LP tank from the building and went about doing an investigation," said Klug.

They were re-dispatched several hours later when smoldering insulation sparked another fire. 

"We had to go in and pull ceiling and pull walls to make sure the insulation was no longer smoldering," explained Klug. "We're not exactly sure what happened and why the fire re-kindled." 

There are neighbors on the other side of the duplex. Officials say no damage was done to their side and they've been allowed back in their home.

The explosion remains under investigation.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WAOW. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Chief Engineer Russ Crass at 715-842-2251. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at fccinfo@fcc.gov.