By Nick O’Brien, Sports Multimedia Journalist - bio | email
The week that was in high school sports saw area hockey, wrestling, and gymnastics teams compete for a state title, along with boys and girls basketball playoffs heating up for the state tournament. These are the top 5 high school plays for the week of March 3-8.
5) Carsyn Bushman's jumper beats the 3rd quarter buzzer in Assumption girls' regional opening win over Granton. The Royals cruised through regionals and will play Newman Catholic in sectionals.
4) In another regional girls basketball game, Jasmin Samz hits a tough jump shot despite a defender's hand being on the ball. However, D.C. Everest would end Wausau West's season with a 64-49 regional victory.
3) At the boys state hockey tournament, Wausau West got a goal from Cale Bowman less than a minute into the Warriors' s quarterfinal matchup with University School of Milwaukee. Wausau West's fantastic season would end after USM scored a game-winning goal 22 seconds into double overtime.
2) In a girls hockey state semifinal, the Central Wisconsin Storm worked the power play to perfection resulting in a goal from Savannah Felch to tie the game in the 3rd period. Bay Area scored a game-winning goal in overtime to keep the Storm from advancing to the championship.
1) A salute to all the teams that competed in the weekend's state tournaments.
WAOW is a proud sponsor of the WIAA Boys and Girls State Basketball Tournaments.More >>
Viewers can watch the boys tournament on WAOW, WYOW and WMOW beginning at 1:35 p.m. Thursday, March 7, 2013 running through Saturday evening March 9. WAOW will broadcast the girls tournament beginning at 1:35 p.m. Thursday, March 14, 2013 though Saturday evening March 16.More >>
A court-ordered change to Wisconsin's photo identification law designed to cut down on voter fraud is creating confusion that some say may lead to more lawsuits and fraud. Policy makers, attorneys and voter ID experts...More >>
The Milwaukee Brewers have acquired outfielder Gerardo Parra from the Arizona Diamondbacks for a pair of minor leaguers. The Brewers added a left-handed bat and two-time Gold Glove winner Thursday ahead of the non-waiver...More >>
Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Chief Engineer Russ Crass at 715-842-2251. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at email@example.com.