Rio official pledges transparent probe in slaying - WAOW - Newsline 9, Wausau News, Weather, Sports

Rio official pledges transparent probe in slaying

Posted:
Rio de Janeiro's top security official on Wednesday promised a rigorous investigation into the death of a young man that sparked overnight clashes in a slum near a key Olympic venue and did not rule out that police may have been responsible.

Public Safety Director Jose Maria Beltrame told reporters the investigation would explore all possible hypotheses in the death of Douglas Rafael da Silva Pereira, whose body was found Tuesday in the Pavao-Pavaozinho hillside "favela."

Authorities didn't initially make public a cause of death, although Periera's mother, Maria de Fatima da Silva, told reporters that police had said her son died after falling from a wall, while she believed her was shot by police.

On Wednesday, Beltrame said an autopsy determined Pereira died from a gunshot wound.

Police killings in Rio's shantytowns have become a hot-button issue ahead of the World Cup, which kicks off in 12 Brazilian cities in June. More than two dozen officers have been charged in the slaying of a man in another Rio slum last year. They allegedly tortured laborer Amarildo de Souza, who died as a result of the ordeal, and hid his body.

In an apparent bid to avoid another uproar like the one that arose over de Souza's death, Beltrame repeatedly pledged transparency throughout the investigation. "No hypothesis has been ruled out," he said.

"We are going to do everything possible, and with the upmost rigor and transparency possible, to present society with the answer to this," he said.

Beltrame said a 10-officer police contingent had been dispatched to the slum late Monday following a tip on the whereabouts of drug gang members. The officers were met by heavily armed men and a short but intense firefight ensued. Two other officers found Pereira's body on the premises of a day care center the next day, he said.

Beltrame condemned "speculation" about what happened to Pereira, a dancer on a popular variety show on the Globo network, but added that investigators would act swiftly on any indication that police were behind the shooting.

The Pavao-Pavaozinho slum is sandwiched between Rio's showcase Copacabana and Ipanema beaches and is just a few hundred yards (meters) from where Olympic swimming events are to be held during the 2016 summer games. The favela erupted into violence late Tuesday following the discovery of Pereira's body, and another man, Edilson da Silva dos Santos, was killed in the overnight clashes, according to a police statement.

News reports said Santos, who was in his mid-20s, was killed by a bullet to the head.

Rio's police began an ambitious security program in 2008 to drive gangs from some of the city's more than 1,000 slums and for the first time set up permanent posts. The "pacifying police units" are part of efforts to secure this notoriously violent city ahead of the World Cup and Olympics.

So far, 37 such units have been created, covering an area with a population of 1.5 million people. But critics complain the units tend to be clustered near wealthy, touristy neighborhoods and appear aimed more at keeping a lid on violent crime during the upcoming mega-events than protecting slum dwellers.

Police moved into Pavao-Pavaozinho in 2009.

  • InternationalMore>>

  • Group says world is losing battle against Ebola

    Group says world is losing battle against Ebola

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 10:34 PM EDT2014-09-03 02:34:33 GMT
    The U.N. is warning that food prices are rising in countries hit by Ebola and that it'll get worse because many farmers won't be able to access fields during the upcoming harvests of rice and corn.More >>
    The international group Doctors Without Borders warned Tuesday that the world is losing the battle against Ebola and lamented that treatment centers in West Africa have been "reduced to places where people go to die alone."More >>
  • Report accuses Islamic State group of war crimes

    Report accuses Islamic State group of war crimes

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 10:24 PM EDT2014-09-03 02:24:18 GMT
    Amnesty International has accused the militant Islamic State group of carrying out a systematic campaign of mass killings, abductions and ethnic cleansing in northern Iraq that could amount to war crimes.More >>
    An international rights group accused the extremist Islamic State group on Tuesday of systematic "ethnic cleansing" in northern Iraq targeting indigenous religious minorities, as well as conducting mass killings of men and...More >>
  • UN: 4 peacekeepers killed in north Mali, 15 hurt

    UN: 4 peacekeepers killed in north Mali, 15 hurt

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 9:34 PM EDT2014-09-03 01:34:29 GMT
    A spokesman for the U.N. peacekeeping mission in Mali says at least four peacekeepers are dead and six have been seriously wounded after their convoy hit a mine in the country's violent north.More >>
    At least four U.N. peacekeepers were killed and 15 wounded when their convoy hit a mine in northern Mali on Tuesday, a spokesman said.More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WAOW. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Chief Engineer Russ Crass at 715-842-2251. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at fccinfo@fcc.gov.