UPDATE: State Farm office fire was accidental - WAOW - Newsline 9, Wausau News, Weather, Sports

UPDATE: State Farm office fire was accidental

WAUSAU (WAOW) – A fire that damaged an insurance agency started in an electrical panel in the furnace room, the Wausau Fire Department said Wednesday.

A neighbor who saw smoke and lights flicker reported the fire at State Farm Insurance located at 2012 N. 6th St., about 1 a.m. Wednesday, Inspector Jeremy Kopp said. The fire cause was listed as accidental, he said.

The electrical panel was destroyed and the fire was contained to one room in the building, Kopps said. Other parts of the building suffered smoke damage.

Three agents working in the office had left about 5 p.m. Tuesday, he said.


WAUSAU (WAOW) -- A battalion chief for the Wausau Fire Department says investigators will be on scene today to investigate an early-morning fire at a State Farm Insurance office.

Officials say the fire is believed to have started in a back room. They say in that room, there is some construction and no windows.

Fire crews say a for sale sign is in the front window of the building, located at 2012 N. 6th Street, but say they believe the building is operational.

A battalion chief says no one was in the building at the time of the fire and no injuries were reported.

Crews were called around 1:00 a.m. Wednesday morning for reports of smoke coming from the building's roof. Flames were found in a back room and quickly put out.

Wausau Fire Department officials expect to have more information as the investigation continues.

Powered by Frankly