UPDATE No freedom for insane man in 1989 killing - WAOW - Newsline 9, Wausau News, Weather, Sports

UPDATE No freedom for insane man in 1989 killing

STEVENS POINT (WAOW) - A Portage County jury ruled Thursday that a Stevens Point man who has spent 25 years in a mental hospital for fatally stabbing his grandfather with a scissors must remain there.

The six-person jury deliberated about an hour before finding that Steven Feck, now 50, remained a danger to society and could not be treated in a community setting, according to online court records. The ruling followed a morning of testimony from doctors who have evaluated him.

Feck was sent to the Winnebago Mental Health Facility in 1990 after being found not guilty by reason of insanity in his grandfather's death. Elton Favell died at his Stevens Point home in 1989.

Feck told the jurors he wanted to be released from the hospital and would stop taking his medications if he was released.

"That is why I killed him because of the medications. I was seeing visions and I could see in his eyes that he wanted me to kill him," Feck told the jurors,

The Portage County prosecutor told the jury Feck remained  as dangerous today as he was 25-years ago.

"He had stopped taking his medications three weeks before the murder. He suffers from delusions. Despite his hospitalizations and even with his treatment all of the mental health staff says he continues to be dangerous," said Veronica Isherwood.

Feck's attorney told jurors that just because Feck is mentally ill does not mean he is violent.

 People determined to be insane and committed to a mental hospital could request that a jury determine if they could be treated in the community until 1990 when the law was changed giving judges that power.

Because the crime involving Feck happened in 1989, laws on the books at that time still applied, leading to Thursday's trial, attorneys said.

Feck testified for about five minutes during the trial, court records said.

After the verdict, Circuit Judge John Finn ordered that Feck be returned to a mental hospital, court records said.
Powered by Frankly