Mosquitoes return and with them harmful virus - WAOW - Newsline 9, Wausau News, Weather, Sports

Mosquitoes return and with them harmful virus

Posted:
WAUSAU (WAOW)--With the wet weather earlier this spring and now a warm spell, the mosquitoes have returned.

State health leaders advise people to keep a watchful eye out for the pesky critters, which can carry West Nile virus.

"About 80 percent of the people who become infected with West Nile won't even notice it. But the other 20 percent may feel some flu-like symptoms, and of those 1 percent become seriously ill," said Ruth Marx of the Marathon County Health Department.

 To avoid exposure, Marx suggests that you avoid going outside at dusk and dawn when the insects are most active. Also, she says long sleeves and pants will help  protect your skin.

The Marathon County Health Department is now working with state and federal agencies to track West Nile Virus (WNV) by testing  dead birds for the virus.

Residents finding a dead bird should call the USDA dead bird hotline at 1-800-433-1610 for guidance.

For more information on WNV, illness symptoms and how to protect yourself, visit: http://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/publications/P4/P42104.pdf



Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WAOW. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Chief Engineer Russ Crass at 715-842-2251. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at fccinfo@fcc.gov.