MADISON (WKOW) -- Newly-released documents show prosecutors believe Gov. Scott Walker was involved in a "criminal scheme" during his recall campaign in 2011 and 2012.
Federal Appeals Judge Frank Easterbrook unsealed 268 pages of previously-redacted documents Thursday outlining Milwaukee County prosecutors' claims. They believe the governor and some of his staff coordinated an extensive nationwide effort to raise campaign money illegally, involving at least a dozen organizations and high-profile Republicans like Karl Rove.
The documents are part of a lawsuit filed by the conservative group Wisconsin Club for Growth, which says its first amendment rights are being violated by the John Doe investigation into his recall campaign.
Gov. Walker's campaign sent a release responding to the prosecutors' claims saying they're categorically false and no laws were broken.
He also said so at an appearance in Milwaukee Thursday.
"I think it's pretty clear. You've got two judges, both a state judge and a federal judge, who said that they didn't buy into the argument that has been presented at this point. I think their words speak pretty strongly both at the federal and the state level," the governor told the media. "I hope people will look at the facts and the facts are, you have a state judge that wasn't appointed by me, wasn't aligned with me at all make the case earlier this year that they didn't think there was a foundation for this. And you've got a federal judge that made a similar finding."
Also in the documents, prosecutors refer to an email Gov. Walker sent to Karl Rove in May 2011, where he implies one of his staff members will lead the coordination effort.
"Bottom-line: R.J. helps keep in place a team that is wildly successful in Wisconsin. We are running 9 recall elections and it will be like running 9 Congressional markets in every market in the state," the document states.
The Wisconsin Club for Growth lawsuit brought a ruling last month to temporarily stop the investigation. Easterbrook is considering an appeal to allow the John Doe investigation to continue.
MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- Newly released documents show prosecutors are alleging Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker was at the center of a nationwide "criminal scheme" to illegally coordinate with outside conservative groups.
The documents were filed as part of an ongoing lawsuit challenging the probe by the conservative group Wisconsin Club for Growth. They were ordered publicly released Thursday by a federal appeals court judge after prosecutors and the Wisconsin Club for Growth did not object.
One of the filings from prosecutors outlines previously unknown details about the investigation that began in 2012 as Walker was facing a recall election.
Prosecutors say Walker, his chief of staff and others who worked for him were discussing illegal coordination with a number of national groups and prominent figures, including GOP strategist Karl Rove.
MADISON (WKOW) -- A federal appeals court released unedited copies of 268 pages of previously redacted documents filed in the investigation into possible illegal coordination between conservative groups and Governor Scott Walker's recall campaign.
On Thursday, 7th U.S. Circuit Court Judge Frank Easterbrook denied a motion from two unnamed people to block the release of the documents. The unknown people argued making the documents public could reveal their identity, their "private papers" and invade their privacy.
Prosecutors and attorneys for the Wisconsin Club for Growth had not objected to the release of the documents.
The investigation that began in 2012 was looking into possible illegal coordination between the Wisconsin Club for Growth, Walker's campaign and other conservative groups. A federal judge has temporarily put the investigation on hold, a move prosecutors are fighting.