UPDATE: Man accused in park attack skips court again - WAOW - Newsline 9, Wausau News, Weather, Sports

UPDATE: Man accused in park attack skips court again

Posted:
MARATHON COUNTY (WAOW) – The man accused of attacking a woman while she was trying to leave a Wausau park has skipped court for the second time.

Robert Woods, 34, failed to show up for a bond hearing scheduled for Marathon County Court Monday. He previously missed a hearing scheduled in late July, resulting in the judge issuing an arrest warrant. The judge also ordered that Woods' $25,000 bond be forfeited.

Woods was charged with four felonies, including strangulation, suffocation with threats to injure and attempted robbery in the July, 2013 attack. He was charged as a repeat offender because he's been convicted of at least three misdemeanors in the past five years, according to court documents. In the most recent case, Woods has pleaded not guilty by reason of mental disease or defect.

Online court records say Woods and prosecutors at one time reached a deal to avoid a trial, but Woods changed his mind and told Judge Greg Grau that he wanted a new attorney.

Grau warned that he would not delay an upcoming trail and ordered Woods to be at the July 23 hearing, whether he had a new attorney or not, court records say.

Woods' new attorney, John Wallace III of Oshkosh, did not immediately return a telephone message Monday.

Newsline 9 could not reach anyone at the Marathon County Sheriff's Department to see how the search for Woods was going. Lt. Bill Millhausen had previously said the agency does not have an active search underway for Woods. “We don't have enough manpower to go out on a warrant team,” Millhausen told Newsline 9.

Investigators say they need tips on Woods' whereabouts or come across him in their normal course of duties to arrest him, Millhausen said.

Powered by Frankly