Rebels back Colombia peace talks after capture - WAOW - Newsline 9, Wausau News, Weather, Sports

Rebels back Colombia peace talks after capture

Posted:

 Colombia..s largest rebel group energetically defended negotiations aimed at ending a half-century insurgency even as those talks hung in the balance following the rebels' surprise capture of an army general.

   President Juan Manuel Santos suspended the talks after the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia captured Gen. Ruben Dario Alzate and two others as they traveled on a remote river in western Colombia over the weekend.

   On the second anniversary of the start of talks, FARC commander best known by his alias Ivan Marquez said the biggest achievement so far is a growing sense of reconciliation among Colombians.

   But progress is being undermined by the guerrillas' latest actions, which have infuriated Colombian officials. In addition to the capture of Alzate, a U.S.-trained general who oversaw a counterinsurgency task force, FARC members in the past two weeks have captured two soldiers during a firefight in northeastern Colombia and have killed two Indians.

   Yielding to rebels' demand for a bilateral cease-fire would be political suicide for Santos, who has long rejected such an option amid criticism from conservative opponents and military officials who say it would allow the guerrillas to regroup after a decade of heavy battlefield losses.

   Statements by rebel leaders in Havana suggest they want a quick solution to the impasse. The two sides have already agreed on wide-reaching agreements on agrarian reform, political participation for the FARC and how to jointly combat illicit drugs in what was long the world's largest cocaine producer.

   Marquez said Wednesday that it's up to the FARC's military commander in Colombia's jungles, who is known as Timochenko, to decide Alzate's fate. Still, he said he trusted that the International Red Cross and the peace process' international guarantors, including Cuba and Norway, could play a role in securing his release if needed.

   The FARC considers military personnel to be prisoners of war but released all soldiers and swore off kidnapping of civilians before the start of peace talks in 2012.

  • InternationalMore>>

  • Syrian White Helmets evacuated to Jordan through Israel

    Syrian White Helmets evacuated to Jordan through Israel

    Sunday, July 22 2018 2:08 AM EDT2018-07-22 06:08:55 GMT
    Sunday, July 22 2018 12:21 PM EDT2018-07-22 16:21:05 GMT
    Map locates Quneitra, site of aid worker evacuations; 1c x 3 inches; 46.5 mm x 76 mm;Map locates Quneitra, site of aid worker evacuations; 1c x 3 inches; 46.5 mm x 76 mm;
    Israeli military rescues stranded Syrian volunteers from Golan Heights border area, transfers them to third country.More >>
    Israeli military rescues stranded Syrian volunteers from Golan Heights border area, transfers them to third country.More >>
  • New UK Brexit chief: We may not pay exit fee if no deal

    New UK Brexit chief: We may not pay exit fee if no deal

    Sunday, July 22 2018 2:33 AM EDT2018-07-22 06:33:55 GMT
    Sunday, July 22 2018 12:21 PM EDT2018-07-22 16:21:03 GMT
    (Stephanie Lecocq/Pool Photo via AP). Britain's newly appointed chief Brexit negotiator Dominic Raab, left, and EU's chief Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier speak to the media ahead of a meeting at the European Commission in Brussels, Thursday, July 19,...(Stephanie Lecocq/Pool Photo via AP). Britain's newly appointed chief Brexit negotiator Dominic Raab, left, and EU's chief Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier speak to the media ahead of a meeting at the European Commission in Brussels, Thursday, July 19,...
    Britain's new Brexit chief has suggested Britain might not pay its 39 billion pound ($51 billion) divorce bill if no trade agreement with the European Union is reached.More >>
    Britain's new Brexit chief has suggested Britain might not pay its 39 billion pound ($51 billion) divorce bill if no trade agreement with the European Union is reached.More >>
  • UK police think boy, 3, was attacked with acid at store

    UK police think boy, 3, was attacked with acid at store

    Sunday, July 22 2018 11:04 AM EDT2018-07-22 15:04:23 GMT
    Sunday, July 22 2018 12:21 PM EDT2018-07-22 16:21:02 GMT
    British police say a 3-year-old boy suffered severe burns on his face and arm during a suspected acid attack that investigators think was deliberate.More >>
    British police say a 3-year-old boy suffered severe burns on his face and arm during a suspected acid attack that investigators think was deliberate.More >>
Powered by Frankly