Several simultaneous attacks in Egypt's Sinai kill 6
Militants struck more than a dozen army and police targets in the restive Sinai Peninsula with simultaneous attacks involving a car bomb and mortar rounds on Thursday, killing at least six people and wounding 30 others, officials said.
The wide-ranging attacks struck the Northern Sinai provincial capital el-Arish, the nearby town of Sheik Zuwayid and the town of Rafah bordering Gaza, pointing to a previously unseen level of coordination.
An Islamic State affiliate previously known as Ansar Beit al-Maqdis has launched several attacks against the police and the army in recent years, particularly following the military overthrow of Islamist President Mohammed Morsi in 2013.
The officials said Thursday's attacks included at least one car bomb set off outside a military base and mortar rounds fired at a hotel, a police club and more than a dozen checkpoints. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to the press.
The state news agency MENA said more than one car bomb was used in the attacks, without elaborating.
The explosions smashed windows and shook residential areas in el-Arish.
The areas where the attacks took place have been under a state of emergency and a curfew since October, when militants killed dozens of soldiers in a deadly attack on a checkpoint in Sinai.
Wednesday, January 24 2018 4:51 AM EST2018-01-24 09:51:32 GMT
U.S. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin says his country is "absolutely" committed to free and fair trade, two days after President Donald Trump signed off on new tariffs on imported solar-energy components and...More >>
U.S. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin says his country is "absolutely" committed to free and fair trade, two days after President Donald Trump signed off on new tariffs on imported solar-energy components and large washing machines.More >>