Video purports to show IS militants beheading hostages
CAIRO (AP) -- Egypt is reacting strongly to a video released by militants in Libya that purports to show the mass beheading of Coptic Christian hostages.
The government has declared a seven-day mourning period and President Abdel Fattah el-Sissi convened an emergency national security meeting to discuss a response. The government says El-Sissi has sent condolences to "the victims of terrorism."
The video, released late Sunday night, shows several men in orange jumpsuits being led along a beach, each accompanied by a masked militant. The men are made to kneel and one militant addresses the camera in English before the men are simultaneously beheaded.
The makers of the video identify themselves as the Tripoli Province of the Islamic State group -- the extremists who control about a third of Syria and Iraq. Militants in Libya claiming affiliation with the Islamic State group had been holding 21 Egyptian Coptic Christians hostage for weeks, threatening them with death.
The Associated Press could not independently verify the video. But the Egyptian government and the Coptic Church, which is based in Egypt, have said the video is authentic.