Former Congo rebel leader's ICC trial to start in July - WAOW - Newsline 9, Wausau News, Weather, Sports

Former Congo rebel leader's ICC trial to start in July

Posted:

 The International Criminal Court says the trial of former Congo militia leader Bosco Ntaganda will start in July, weighing charges including murder, rape and using child soldiers.

   The court set the date Tuesday, a day after rejecting the idea of beginning the case in the Democratic Republic of Congo, saying it could prove too traumatic for victims.

   Ntaganda's trial had been set to start June 2, but was postponed as judges considered holding hearings close to the scene of his alleged crimes.

   After rejecting the idea, judges set July 7 as the date for opening statements to begin in The Hague.

   Ntaganda is charged with involvement in atrocities in the eastern Congolese province of Ituri from 2002-2003. His lawyer has said the case against Ntaganda has "no foundation."

  • InternationalMore>>

  • Military veterans divided over Trump's Russia comments

    Military veterans divided over Trump's Russia comments

    Wednesday, July 18 2018 3:52 PM EDT2018-07-18 19:52:20 GMT
    Wednesday, July 18 2018 9:38 PM EDT2018-07-19 01:38:29 GMT
    (AP Photo/Manuel Valdes). In this photograph taken July 17, 2018, Marine Corps veteran Chris Sheppard poses with a picture of himself taken during his service in Iraq in Oct. 2004, at his office in Seattle. "I thought that press conference yesterday wi...(AP Photo/Manuel Valdes). In this photograph taken July 17, 2018, Marine Corps veteran Chris Sheppard poses with a picture of himself taken during his service in Iraq in Oct. 2004, at his office in Seattle. "I thought that press conference yesterday wi...
    Current and U.S. veterans are split over President Donald Trump's statements in Helsinki on Russian meddling in the 2016 election.More >>
    Current and U.S. veterans are split over President Donald Trump's statements in Helsinki on Russian meddling in the 2016 election.More >>
  • EU fines Google a record $5 billion over mobile practices

    EU fines Google a record $5 billion over mobile practices

    Wednesday, July 18 2018 6:05 AM EDT2018-07-18 10:05:42 GMT
    Wednesday, July 18 2018 9:35 PM EDT2018-07-19 01:35:45 GMT
    The European Union's antitrust chief is planning a statement Wednesday amid reports that her office will slap a record $5 billion fine on Google for abusing the market dominance of its Android mobile phone...More >>
    The European Union's antitrust chief is planning a statement Wednesday amid reports that her office will slap a record $5 billion fine on Google for abusing the market dominance of its Android mobile phone operating system.More >>
  • Thai boys recount cave rescue: Voices in dark, then 'hello'

    Thai boys recount cave rescue: Voices in dark, then 'hello'

    Wednesday, July 18 2018 3:11 AM EDT2018-07-18 07:11:50 GMT
    Wednesday, July 18 2018 9:26 PM EDT2018-07-19 01:26:15 GMT
    (Thailand's Ministry of Health and the Chiang Rai Prachanukroh Hospital, via AP, File). FILE - In this Sunday, July 15, 2018, file photo released by Thailand's Ministry of Health and the Chiang Rai Prachanukroh Hospital, some of the rescued soccer team...(Thailand's Ministry of Health and the Chiang Rai Prachanukroh Hospital, via AP, File). FILE - In this Sunday, July 15, 2018, file photo released by Thailand's Ministry of Health and the Chiang Rai Prachanukroh Hospital, some of the rescued soccer team...
    The youth soccer teammates rescued from a flooded cave in Thailand are expected to be released from the hospital and to speak about their ordeal.More >>
    The youth soccer teammates rescued from a flooded cave in Thailand are expected to be released from the hospital and to speak about their ordeal.More >>
Powered by Frankly